Thursday 6 September 2012

In With the New...

Our modern day media is in with the new, and out with the old. It is now socially unacceptable to lack electronic devices such as an iPod, cell phone (preferably smart), and a computer- for teenagers, anyways. Until now, however, I have managed to live without a computer. Granted, I've had an iPhone for the last two years, so it's never been terribly necessary before. But now, things are changing. Just to hand in assignment students need internet access and a printer. I had to prepare an argument to convince my parents that it is, in fact, necessary for me to have a computer for school. So laptop shopping we went, because laptops are just easier, and now here I am, typing on this new little contraption, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Now I'm one of those "in with the new" people following up on the latest trends. I have a laptop (shared with my father) AND an iPhone at my beck and call. I have access to Google, Facebook, Youtube, Wikipedia, etc. I don't even have to think anymore. My computing skills are no longer needed as I have two computing devices much more capable than I am. How will this change my life? How has this already changed the lives of many? Am I interested in becoming one of those people? Am I already one of those people? I suppose I am. I am in with the new, and I'm out with the old.

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll like your mac... and I think you are far smarter than any device you use. You make judgements and have thoughts etc. Devices only do what they are told! You think, they don't.

    ReplyDelete