Saturday 10 November 2012

Reading Mass Media




Red by Taylor Swift

1.     This album is written and created, for the most part, by Taylor Swift.  She and her publicists use a variety of advertising strategies such as photoshoots specific to the new style, direct tweets from Taylor herself, and iTunes promotion. I’m sure a lot of different people profit from an album, because a lot of different work is done which includes a lot of different jobs.
2.     The purpose of Taylor Swift’s music is for her to express different emotions she has felt in different experiences of her life. Mostly, I’d say, her albums fulfill the purpose of entertainment. The target audience was probably young females at a time, but I’d say she reaches much more than just that. Taylor Swift’s unique songwriting style appeals to a lot of people because of her honesty and relatability. I like her music because of these same reasons.
3.     The message being conveyed is whatever lesson Taylor learned before writing any given song. Her songs support a love for love, and a hate for falling out of love. I have much less experience in these areas than she does, but I would never disagree with her, because I can’t argue somebody’s experience. I would say her songs are very effective in reaching their targeted audience and more. Whatever point Taylor wants to get across, she will get across.

X Factor

1.     Simon Cowell created the X Factor. He has spread it to two different continents, and he makes sure that everybody knows he reserves all rights to it. It is portrayed as a ticket to fame and fortune, all profits going towards the creators, the judges, and the contestants.
2.     The purpose of this show is to showcase musical talent, particularly singing, and creating artists. The intended audience isn’t very specific. For the most part, it’s family friendly so it allows for all ages, but I suppose it really focuses on a specific genre of music, so you could say the targeted audience is pop-song lovers?
3.     The belief behind the show is that if you put a good voice on an overdone stage singing a hit song, you’ll create a star. I do share these beliefs, sadly. I’ve watched too many talented artists go home and too many good-looking-alright-voiced singers make it really far to not believe that whatever Simon Cowell is doing is working.

Tony Bowls Magazine
1.     Tony Bowls is the designer of many unique and interesting grad dresses and evening gowns. His magazine features these dresses for dress stores or fanatic dress-buyers. All profits, I’m sure, go to Tony and his employees.
2.     The purpose is to put all of Tony’s designs into one easy-to-read book so that stores can feature these magazines to potential buyers. I suppose it would fall under the category of information? Or perhaps persuasion. It really depends on how you look at it. The intended audience is definitely graduating females. It appeals to me because I’m a graduating female in the market for a good grad dress.
3.     This magazine essentially says, “Hey, I’m a really nice grad dress, you should buy me”. There aren’t really any stereotypes being portrayed, unless of course you count the fact that all of the models in the magazine are the same size and beautiful? You could say that it’s a marketing scheme to make the dresses look better. I don’t necessarily agree with these beliefs. In fact, I think it would be helpful of Mr. Tony would display how his dresses fit females of the larger, or shorter, or any other body typed client he might encounter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment